Beginner Map reading Family Session (children aged 8+)
*We’re very sad to announce that due to the on going social distancing and lockdown measures we have decided to postpone this event until we can come together in a more relaxed way again*
Come and join us!!
Over recent months, we’ve all learnt the value of finding our own space and exploring new places. Knowing how to navigate using a map is a huge advantage in getting outdoors and adventuring.
But many of us feel nervous about getting off the beaten track, especially with the family in tow. Where can we go? What if we get lost? DofE was a long time ago, how can I remember those skills? How can I teach my kids these skills?
GoWildGoWest has partnered up with Tim from Adventurous Spirit to put together a programme of courses for those wanting to learn new, practical navigational skills.
Whether you’re a total beginner looking to learn how to read a map in order to plot your own adventures, or someone with previous experience wanting to brush up and learn some more advanced navigational skills, you’ll be very welcome on one of our courses.
Key things to know:
- We’re running separate courses for intermediate and beginner skill levels
- Choose from challenging mountain terrain, the gentler hills of the South West, or easier footpaths for the beginners.
- There are 4 navigational courses and 1 guided walk (a walk in the mountains without the learning!)
- Both adult-only and family sessions available
- The minimum age for our family beginner session is 8 because of the level of navigational detail, but I’ll be running a separate, lighter session for younger kids at a later date.
- Further information with kit list, exact meeting place and times will be sent out individually to confirmed attendees.
- All attendees will need to make their own travel arrangements.
- Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult
- Please take note of Ts & Cs before booking. Uncertainties around the pandemic makes things trickier than normal so we want to ensure that we are being flexible, safe, and responsible.
- Spaces are very scarce so book up whilst you can
- No dogs (sorry!)
We’ll be running 5 different courses in 2020. Please refer to the table below and individual event listings for more details on what each course entails and which will suit you best, or please feel free to contact me with any questions.
10th October – Beginner Map reading Family Session (children aged 8+)
Morning session (9am – 12.30pm)
Location: Chew Valley
Price: £20 per adult. £5 under 18
Map reading is such a useful skill. These days with google maps and marked walk routes in many places, the art of navigation is too often being forgotten. Recent events have shown more than ever that we need to spread out. Not only does it give us our own space, but it takes the pressure off tourist hotspots which are often negatively affected by over-crowding.
Reading a map can give you the freedom to plot your own routes in lesser-known areas. Whether you’re visiting a new location on holiday or getting to know your local area better, a map can get you off the beaten track. You can then confidently create your own adventures, planning distances, timings, viewpoints along the way, without the fear of getting lost.
This course is for those with limited or no experience of map reading. On the day we’ll hope to cover; Identifying types of footpath & other features (covering 1:25k & 1:50k map scales)
- Basic orientation of a map
- Using key map features in order to navigate
- Advice on route plotting, distancing and planning personal walks
- Countryside Code
This is a family session open for children aged 8 years and over (all under 18s must be accompanied by an adult). This is a half day session running from 9am – 12.30. We will hope to cover some distance on the day so children should be confident walkers. Please bring your own snacks and drinks. We’ll send out a full kit list prior to the day.
I’ll be running a separate more family-orientated session for those with younger kids in the near future. Watch this space.
We’ll meet in the Chew Valley. Exact location will be confirmed in prior to the day.
Maximum group size 10
How to book onto this course:
Please book via Eventbrite here
Please read the Ts & Cs before booking, especially around COVID-19. Walking will allow us to maintain social distancing but nobody can plan for what will happen in the future so we’ve tried to be as flexible as possible while acting safely and responsibly.