Hill Navigation Training, Adults only
Come and join us!!
Over recent months, we’ve all learnt the value of finding our own space and exploring new places. Knowing how to navigate using a map is a huge advantage in getting outdoors and adventuring.
But many of us feel nervous about getting off the beaten track, especially with the family in tow. Where can we go? What if we get lost? DofE was a long time ago, how can I remember those skills? How can I teach my kids these skills?
GoWildGoWest has partnered up with Tim from Adventurous Spirit to put together a programme of courses for those wanting to learn new, practical navigational skills.
Whether you’re a total beginner looking to learn how to read a map in order to plot your own adventures, or someone with previous experience wanting to brush up and learn some more advanced navigational skills, you’ll be very welcome on one of our courses.
Key things to know:
- We’re running separate courses for intermediate and beginner skill levels
- Choose from challenging mountain terrain, the gentler hills of the South West, or easier footpaths for the beginners.
- There are 4 navigational courses and 1 guided walk (a walk in the mountains without the learning!)
- Both adult-only and family sessions available
- The minimum age for our family beginner session is 8 because of the level of navigational detail, but I’ll be running a separate, lighter session for younger kids at a later date.
- Further information with kit list, exact meeting place and times will be sent out individually to confirmed attendees.
- All attendees will need to make their own travel arrangements.
- Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult
- Please take note of Ts & Cs before booking. Uncertainties around the pandemic makes things trickier than normal so we want to ensure that we are being flexible, safe, and responsible.
- Spaces are very scarce so book up whilst you can
- No dogs (sorry!)
We’ll be running 5 different courses in 2020. Please refer to the table below and individual event listings for more details on what each course entails and which will suit you best, or please feel free to contact me with any questions.
7th November – Hill Navigation Training, Adults only.
Location: Quantock Hills
This course is for those who want to expand their skills and confidence in navigation in more challenging terrain. Hills and moors are wonderful to walk on but they can be hard to navigate given their expanse and lack of defined footpaths. Join us in the Quantock Hills for a day of learning new skills, meeting new people, and enjoying the beautiful scenery.
Attendees should know the key features on an OS map and be comfortable using a map to navigate along public footpaths. The course is for those that want to advance their skills to feel more confident navigating, especially in hilltop terrain.
Hill navigation can be tricky and on the day we’ll hope to learn;
- Measuring horizontal distance on a map and estimating timings; “The Four D’s”!
- Taking and following a simple compass bearing
- Use of handrails & other linear features; “Aiming off”
- Interpreting slope shape from map contours
- Relating small knolls, valleys, re-entrants & spurs to map contours
- Catching & collecting map features
This course is for confident walkers as there will be long distances involved. In November we can always hope for good weather but hilltop conditions can be unpredictable. We’ll send out a full kit list with required clothing and kit prior to the day. Please bring your own packed lunch, snacks and drinks
We’ll meet in the Quantocks. Exact location and timings will be confirmed closer to the day but expect an early start.
Maximum group size: 8
How to book on to this course:
Please book via Eventbrite here.
Please read the Ts & Cs before booking, especially around COVID-19. Walking will allow us to maintain social distancing but nobody can plan for what will happen in the future so we’ve tried to be as flexible as possible while acting safely and responsibly.