Mountain Navigation Training, Adults only.
Come and join us!!
Over recent months, we’ve all learnt the value of finding our own space and exploring new places. Knowing how to navigate using a map is a huge advantage in getting outdoors and adventuring.
But many of us feel nervous about getting off the beaten track, especially with the family in tow. Where can we go? What if we get lost? DofE was a long time ago, how can I remember those skills? How can I teach my kids these skills?
GoWildGoWest has partnered up with Tim from Adventurous Spirit to put together a programme of courses for those wanting to learn new, practical navigational skills.
Whether you’re a total beginner looking to learn how to read a map in order to plot your own adventures, or someone with previous experience wanting to brush up and learn some more advanced navigational skills, you’ll be very welcome on one of our courses.
Key things to know:
- We’re running separate courses for intermediate and beginner skill levels
- Choose from challenging mountain terrain, the gentler hills of the South West, or easier footpaths for the beginners.
- There are 4 navigational courses and 1 guided walk (a walk in the mountains without the learning!)
- Both adult-only and family sessions available
- The minimum age for our family beginner session is 8 because of the level of navigational detail, but I’ll be running a separate, lighter session for younger kids at a later date.
- Further information with kit list, exact meeting place and times will be sent out individually to confirmed attendees.
- All attendees will need to make their own travel arrangements.
- Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult
- Please take note of Ts & Cs before booking. Uncertainties around the pandemic makes things trickier than normal so we want to ensure that we are being flexible, safe, and responsible.
- Spaces are very scarce so book up whilst you can
- No dogs (sorry!)
We’ll be running 5 different courses in 2020. Please refer to the table below and individual event listings for more details on what each course entails and which will suit you best, or please feel free to contact me with any questions.
26th September – Mountain Navigation Training, Adults only.
Location: Black Mountains, Wales.
Price: £75 per person
This course is for those who want to gain the skills and confidence to navigate in tricky mountain terrain. On a personal level, I joined Tim on a similar course in 2019 to prepare for a 26 mile mountain navigational challenge that I had signed up for. The skills we learnt on the day gave us the know-how and confidence to succeed at the challenge and have proved invaluable on mountain hikes since. (Read more about our challenge day here.)
Join us in the Black Mountains for a day of learning new skills, meeting new people, and enjoying the beautiful scenery.
Attendees should know the key features on an OS map and be comfortable using a map to navigate along public footpaths. The course is for those that want to advance their skills to feel more confident navigating, especially in mountain terrain.
Mountain navigation is tricky and on the day we’ll hope to learn;
- Measuring horizontal distance on a map and estimating timings; “The Four D’s”!
- Taking and following a simple compass bearing
- Use of handrails & other linear features; “Aiming off”
- Interpreting slope shape from map contours
- Relating small knolls, valleys, re-entrants & spurs to map contours
- Catching & collecting map features
- Flexibility in route planning/use of escape routes
This course is for confident walkers as there will be long distances, ascents, and descents involved. At the end of September we hope for good weather but part of the course will be about managing in the challenging weather conditions that mountains can throw at you. We’ll send out a full kit list with required clothing and kit prior to the day. Please bring your own packed lunch, snacks, and drinks.
We’ll meet in Crickhowell, Wales. Timings will be confirmed closer to the day but expect an early start.
Over 18s only.
Maximum group size: 6
How to book onto the course:
Book via Eventbrite here.
Please read the Ts & Cs (attached below)before booking, especially around COVID-19. Walking will allow us to maintain social distancing but nobody can plan for what will happen in the future so we’ve tried to be as flexible as possible while acting safely and responsibly.
Please read the terms and conditions here: