Not to be confused with Common Hogweed which is very common and totally harmless, Giant Hogweed is a beast of a plant. It grows anywhere from 1 meter to 6 meters tall! It has very high levels of toxins in the sap, and any contact may give you severe phototoxic burns. These burns can cause problems for years.
When you’re out adventuring on the river banks, it’s best to avoid Giant Hogweed. The flowers look a little like cow parsley but the leaves are very different. It also has chunky, bright green stems often with purple/red spots or blotches.
We’ve got numerous poisonous plants in the UK including fox gloves, hemlock, and bluebells but Giant Hogweed seems to be a lesser known one.
Find out more information from the Woodland Trust here.